The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
This pasta dish is packed with flavor and comes together in about 12 minutes!
Loads of summer zucchini, greenhouse grown TOMZ® cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar create a meal with the perfect balance of freshness and tang, but it all starts with a base of finely chopped prosciutto.
Light and versatile, this seasonally inspired pasta is perfect for weeknight meals or summer gatherings and can be easily be customized with any vegetable.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Heinen’s artisan organic bagged penne
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 pint TOMZ® cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz. prosciutto, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup Garlic Expressions dressing
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- Cook the penne according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, drizzle olive oil and add the prosciutto. Cook until crispy.
- Remove the crispy prosciutto from the pan. Keep the leftover fat in the pan and add the onions, garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes until the onions are translucent
- Add diced zucchini and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss for one minute.
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar, Garlic Expressions and pasta water. Simmer over medium-low heat for one minute.
- Pour in half of the parmesan cheese followed by the penne pasta. Stir over low heat for one minute to combine the sauce with the pasta.
- Turn off the heat, add the remaining parmesan cheese and stir to coat the pasta.
- Let the pasta sit for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to absorb the majority of the sauce. It will thicken as it sits.
- Once the pasta has sat for 5 minutes, it will become creamy and thick. Enjoy!