This post was created by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift. This recipe was inspired by Heinen’s What’s for Dinner?, a weekly meal guide with simple ingredients and step-by-step instructions.
A simple and delicious layered Tex-Mex casserole made even easier with a few shortcut items from Heinen’s. This family-friendly one-pan dinner is on the table in about 30 minutes thanks to pre-sliced fajita vegetables and shredded chicken. For a vegetarian version, swap in a can of black beans or pinto beans in place of the chicken.
Start by quickly sauteing the fajita vegetables in olive oil. Then, using the same pan, layer in the salsa, tortillas, shredded chicken, sautéed vegetables and cheese. Repeat this process a few times before transferring the pan to the oven to bake for 20 minutes. It’s really that simple (and a great recipe to involve the kids)!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Heinen’s Recipe Ready Fajita Vegetables
- 16-ounce jar Frontera Tomatillo Salsa
- Mission White Corn Tortillas (about 15)
- Heinen’s Shredded Chicken (1/2 – 2/3 pound)
- 8-ounce package Sargento Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In an oven-safe 10-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add fajita vegetables and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a bowl. Wipe out the pan, but do not wash.
- Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray or wipe with oil. Spread 1/5 jar of the salsa in the bottom of the pan. Line the pan with 3-4 tortillas and top with 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the fajita vegetables, ½ cup of cheese and 1/5 jar of the salsa. Repeat 2 more times. Finish by topping the casserole with 3 tortillas, the remaining salsa and remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Transfer pan to oven and bake until cheese melts and becomes lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before topping with cilantro and serving.
What’s for Dinner is our way of taking the stress out of cooking and making mealtime fun! Each week at the front of your local Heinen’s, you’ll find all the ingredients needed to create one of our simple and delicious chef-inspired meals. Just follow the easy step-by-step recipe card provided to have dinner ready in a matter of minutes.