Recipe and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
If you are looking for a delicious weeknight meal or a fantastic entrée to serve at your next back yard BBQ, make these Grilled Pork Chops with Roasted Pineapple Salsa Verde. Now that the weather has finally turned, the grills are lighting up in full force. When grilling, I like quick and easy-to-prepare meals that don’t have me standing over the hot grates for for long periods of time, and this recipe takes only around 15-20 minutes to cook.
The prep for making these pork chops is fairly easy. Whenever it comes to serving a meal to family and guests, it’s all about timing. For any recipe, it’s important to prep everything first so when it’s time to cook, there is no need to stop and cut or peel something — everything is ready to go.
To make sure this recipe comes out on time, start by preheating your grill to high heat. The optimal temperature for grilling is between 500°F and 600°F. This range creates those coveted grill marks. Next, prepare the pineapple, tomatillos, jalapeño and red onions, as those will be going out to the grill. Before these are placed on the grill, drizzle some olive oil onto the pork, fruits and vegetables. Season everything with salt and pepper.
Since pork chops take about 12-15 minutes to cook, you want to lay those on the the grill first. When it comes to grilling anything, you have to be patient because the food is going to want to stick to the grates. After 5-7 minutes, flip over the pork and add the fruit and vegetables to the grill. Flip the fruit and veggies after 2-3 minutes. When the pork is done, everything else is done ,too. While the pork rests on a serving platter, add the roasted fruit, vegetables and herbs to a blender and puree until smooth.
Serve the salsa verde over top of the pork, or on the side, and garnish with any leftover cilantro and oregano. This is a fantastic dish with awesome flavors that I know will be a big hit. If you are lovers of wine, then you should absolutely pair this delicious pork recipe with a Pinot Noir.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 thick bone-in pork chops
- ½ pineapple, core removed, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- 5 tomatillos, peeled
- ½ red onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill between 500°F and 600°F.
- Evenly drizzle the olive oil onto the pork chops, pineapple, jalapeño, tomatillos and red onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pork chops to the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes or until dark grill marks have formed.
- Flip the pork over, cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Evenly spread the pineapple, jalapeño, tomatillos and red onion on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until lightly roasted.
- Remove the pork, fruit and vegetables from the grill and let the pork rest on the plate.
- Add the roasted fruit, vegetables and herbs to a blender and blend on high speed until lightly chunky.
- Pour the salsa over top of the pork (or serve it on the side) and garnish with fresh cilantro and oregano.