The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of Heinen’s Club Fx Recipe Developer and Food Photographer, Allianna Moximchalk from Allianna’s Kitchen.
When it comes to supporting your immune system, there’s nothing better than dark leafy greens, like kale. With high levels of vitamin C, kale packs a host of powerful antioxidants that can help fight off infection, so while you’re enjoying this tasty kale salad, your body will be gaining the fuel it needs to keep you feeling your best!
A lot of people wince at the thought of eating kale, especially in a salad because it can be bitter and tough, but when prepared correctly, its truly delicious. To reduce the toughness, I marinated the kale in a homemade apple cider vinegar-based tahini dressing. It allowed the kale to break down, making it easier to eat, and also masked the bitterness.
For an added boost of antioxidant power, I tossed a few fresh blueberries on top of the salad. The added pop of color is a nice bonus too! And, because no salad is complete without cheese, I got a little creative and combined nutritional yeast and pecans to create a cheese-like topping that resembles freshly grated parmesan. Trust me when I say, you’ll hardly notice the difference!
This is not your average kale salad – it’s better tasting and better for you!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Salad
- 3 cups blueberries, washed
- 8 cups kale, chopped and stems removed, if desired
For the Pecan Cheese
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 Tbsp. Bragg’s nutritional yeast
For the Dressing
- 1 whole lemon, juiced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 10 oz. Heinen's tahini
- 3 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup purified water
- Add all of the pecan cheese ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Clean the food processor, then add all of the salad dressing ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Add the dressing to a large serving bowl with the kale and blueberries. Toss with tongs. It is ideal to allow the kale to marinate in the dressing, as this helps break it down, but if time does not permit, do not worry.
- Sprinkle the pecan cheese overtop and serve.